Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Asher’s Surgery Scheduled

Two days after Asher’s blessing, we went in for a check-up with the cardiologist.  Asher, while still gaining weight, has been slowly dropping in his oxygen saturation levels, so I wasn’t too shocked when Dr. King said he’d like to schedule his Glenn surgery for two weeks from that day, on June 18.  The main surgeon was going to be out of town, and he would just get back on the 18th, so Dr. King rearranged another patient so that Asher’s surgery could be that day.  Meanwhile, he told me to stop giving him his daily dose of aspirin so that his blood will clot better by the time he had his surgery.  He also told me to watch him closely, and call if his oxygen saturation levels dropped below 65, or if he had spells of crying really hard, turning blue, and having his eyes start to roll back.  I assured him if that happened, I would be sure to call!  Even though Asher will be on the younger end for this surgery (generally 3-6 months), he is about the average weight for the surgery.  We knew he would need this surgery a little earlier shortly after his Norwood procedure, when Dr. King told us that his sano-conduit had a bit of a kink that didn’t allow optimal blood flow to his lungs.  We are nervous but grateful too that he can have this second surgery, that he is doing so well and so healthy and that then we will be done (hopefully!) with surgeries for a few years until his Fontan when he is between the ages of three and five.

Here are a few pictures of the crazy-haired, cutest little guy ever:

JLM_1286JLM_1304  JLM_1305

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wrote a big comment after looking at the park pics, but it doesnt look like it posted. I love the park photos, I bet the boys will have a lot of good memories, I think these simple, fun family outings are the best ones.
Asher reminds me a lot of all my babies (except Grant), they all had lots of dark hair- did any of the other boys have hair like that ?
Im trying to pass the time with you right now while youre in Ashers 2nd surgury, just said a prayer-I hope youre feeling as much peace as possible.
I dont know if Shane knows, but Grant became an Elder Sunday, and were expecting his mission call soon. I appreciate Shanes influence on Grants life, taking him home teaching, talking with him, it means a lot to me.
Well, ok- my heart, thoughts, prayers, love, are all with you right now. I wish I was there, I remember sitting with one of my daughters and her husband while her little boy Aarun was in heart surgury at 6 weeks old. That boy just got his mission call to Iquitos, Peru-one of the new (58) missions just created, so he will be a pioneer missionary , taking the gospel to people in the Amazon Rainforest.
I am so tech challenged- I dont even know how to post under my own name.I love you guys so much-Debbie Russell

Morris Family said...

Love his hair! Thinking of you today!!