Thursday, July 05, 2012

4th of July

For the 4th of July, Shane and I signed up this year to run the Cherry Days 5K.  I was a little nervous to run at the higher elevation, so we ran the 5K route Saturday night after arriving, and then we ran another time Monday morning.  It was definitely harder to breathe, but it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting.  Wendi signed up to run it with us, so Wednesday morning, we got up early and headed down to the IHC parking lot where the race began.  We all started out together, but we slowly split up, and I lost Shane on the big hill and never quite caught back up to him.  I still ended up running one of my best times, and placed third in my age group (out of about 25, so not too spectacular). 

After the race, we hurried home, got ready, and then went to North Ogden park for our traditional pancake and egg breakfast put on by the Kiwanis club.  Afterwards, we went to the nice shaded parade spot that Kent had worked hard to save for us.  The kids had fun watching the parade, and we had fun visiting.  Our good friends Mike and Heather happened to be sitting right next to us, so we were glad we could visit with them.

JLM_6585 JLM_6588

Davis, James, and Landon chillin’ on the blanket

JLM_6591  JLM_6597

JLM_6598

Me and my cute boys

JLM_6603 JLM_6604

Shane holding James, and Alexys and Laci watching the parade

JLM_6610  JLM_6613

The kids out in the road trying to get candy, and James enjoying a tootsie roll he found

That evening, we had a nice barbecue, with hamburgers, delicious salads, and yummy dessert. Melanie’s parents came over to eat with us as well as Roger and Renae, some longtime family friends of the Malans.

JLM_6626 JLM_6628

Landon and Keither, and James enjoying some watermelon.

JLM_6632 JLM_6637

Ames eating his dinner, and everyone else sitting around eating

JLM_6639 JLM_6640

Davis found this umbrella stroller and decided it would be fun to put his doggy in it.

JLM_6643  JLM_6650

Laci with her polar bear, and some more shots of the group eating

JLM_6653  JLM_6657

James with his messy after-dinner face, and Kelly pointing out a plane to James

JLM_6658 JLM_6672

After dinner, Alexys brought out some watercolors, and soon all of the kids were sitting around painting for quite awhile. 

JLM_6660 JLM_6662JLM_6665 JLM_6666JLM_6667 JLM_6669

The fireworks this year were being set off somewhere new, which was much closer to Kent and Christie’s house, so we were able to just walk over to the park around the block and watch them there. It was the perfect spot to watch and hardly any other people were there.  It was pretty dark by the time I got over there, so I didn’t get too great of pictures, but I did capture a few.

JLM_6681 JLM_6686JLM_6691 JLM_6695

1 comment:

Jacob said...

Looks like a great 4th and congrats on the 3rd place, very impressive!