Tuesday night, after dinner, the boys headed into the backyard to play for a few minutes while we cleaned up from dinner. Landon and Davis tipped over the basketball hoop and found two little frogs, and Shane found one other small one hopping around the yard. Shane finds frogs a lot in our yard when he is mowing the lawn, and we frequently find them hiding in our hose box or under toys in the yard. At first, we had all three of them in our bug house, but soon, the boys wanted to take them out. This was the first time we’d found three at a time, so each boy had one to hold. They were having so much fun holding them, watching them jump around the yard, and then catching them again!
The frogs in the bug habitat
Observing the frogs, and James cheering “Yay!”
Davis and Landon each holding their frogs in a cup (that didn’t last long)
James’s frog was the fattest of them all, and it would just sit on his hand most of the time. I think James kind of traumatized it when he was holding it. Every once in awhile, he would hop off, and James would go hopping after it trying to catch it (watch videos at the end of this post to see him chasing the frog).
Davis’s frog was the smallest frog, and quite jumpy! He would crawl up his arm, all over his hand, and then jump off, but Davis always found him and picked him back up.
Landon had the mid-sized frog, and the most jumpy. I’m actually not sure if it was the frog or Landon that was the most jumpy, because Landon would laugh and say the frog was tickling him, then the frog would be jumping in the grass again with Landon chasing after him. I wasn’t sure if the frog was jumping off all of the time, or if Landon was so squirmy he would fall off.
James would sometimes just toss his frog into the air. I was snapping pictures when he did that once, and later, as I went back through them, I found the one below with the frog spread across his face! Yuck! He didn’t seem bothered by it though.
I took a few videos too. I have only used the video setting on my camera a few times, and I definitely need some more practice! I had it on manual at first, and then I had a hard time with the focus once I got it set on automatic, but you overall can see what they are doing.
When it was time to let the frogs go and go inside for a bath, the boys were sad to leave their new friends. James was especially sad, and I had to carry him into the house crying after letting his frog friend go. I’m sure we’ll be catching more frogs this spring and summer, although I’ll leave the frog-catching to Shane and the boys.
2 comments:
great pics Jess! I love the one of James smiling. And the one with the frog on his face is pretty awesome - and pretty disgusting!
I love this post. So cute to see boys with frogs. Ha- can't relate but I can appreciate it :)
Post a Comment