Today was a huge day for Asher. He moved out of the Peds ICU and into the regular pediatric ward. He also was weaned off his last little bit of oxygen this afternoon, and has been breathing room air since then with no problems! The rooms on this floor are much more quiet and private, with a closed door instead of a big window along the entire front of the room, a shower in the room, and less equipment. Before the move, Asher also had a great night with Shane staying over with him. He took 100% of every bottle, and didn’t have to use his feeding tube at all. He also had his two side drainage tubes removed, so he only has one drainage tube left in the middle, which they should remove in the day few days.
The view of the Fremont bridge from our old room:
All of that progress must have worn him out a bit, because today’s bottles have been more like 30% by bottle, the rest by the feeding tube. He also threw up/spit up a ton twice today, once after his feeding tube (she thinks she did it too fast), and once after a feeding. We’re going to try the slow flow nipple next time to see if that helps.
Our new room:
Tonight, we gave him a little sponge bath to clean him up a bit. His nurse was pretty excited that he had enough hair to actually comb, so she styled his hair with a nice Mohawk hairdo. She said he needed a fighter look because he’s a fighter. :)
My mom came up with me this morning for awhile while Shane took the boys to Landon’s baseball practice, fed them lunch, and had a nap (he deserved one too after his long night!). My mom had a fun Easter egg hunt for boys in the afternoon. Each egg had words that they assembled into a clue to find some Easter goodies she had brought. It was a GORGEOUS day - mid 70’s and beautiful blue skies.
I came home for a few minutes to watch them color eggs before heading back up to the hospital. We had some glitter eggs and some marbled eggs too, and the boys had fun making different ones. I always love decorating eggs, and wished I could have stayed to decorate some with them.
After coloring eggs, they had fun playing outside while Shane mowed the lawn. Our neighbor brought over a box of drumstick ice cream cones, so they all were excited to enjoy one of those. We talked to the boys about maybe telling the Easter bunny to deliver their baskets up here for them to get after church so that I could be there when they see them. They decided that was a good idea, and Landon made sure to write the Easter Bunny a note before bed so that he would know where to take them. It says, “Dear Easter bunny. Please leave the eggs at Asher’s room in the hospital. Thanks!” Hopefully the Easter Bunny gets the message. :)
5 comments:
I am so excited to read todays news and see all the wonderful pictures.Wow, what a red letter day for Ashers progress-you must be so happy.He is such a fighter, and obviously prayers are being answered-I have "warm fuzzy" goosebumps "right now.Thank you so much for the daily updates, it's so great youre taking time to send them out.
Jessica, how are you doing in your own recovery?I hope you are taking care of yourself as well,I went through a c-section with Grant.I'm sure the grandmoms and Shane are watching over you.
I'm sincere when I say I think about you and pray for you all every day.Even though I don't know you as well as I'd like (yet), Please know I love you all-keep the great job youre doing, love you so much-Debbie Russell
I love all the pic's Jess. What a cute note the boys left in Asher's Easter basket. Lots of love and hugs to you and your sweet family!
All our love to the Malan family! A Blessed day for sure. What an amazing Easter Sunday in Oregon! Hey, I'm ready to see Asher's name up there beside James' at the top of your blog. But, of course, only when YOU are ready. oxo Sue and Scott
love the fighter hair! he's just so handsome i just want to snuggle him.
we will pray that he will be able to eat and not throw up.
you guys are amazing. love to you and your sweet sweet family!
Go Asher! Big day buddy! Love the hair!
Post a Comment