Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter!

First of all, Happy Easter!  It is a bit different to wake up Easter morning in a hospital room with a one-week old baby instead of home with three little boys running around the living room searching for eggs, but it was still a glorious morning with beautiful blue skies out my window and a beautiful, growing-more-healthy-and-strong-everyday baby to spend the time with.  I was able to spend a little time reading on lds.org too, which was a nice relaxing Sunday activity.

Asher with his mohawk and camo blanket:

JLM_9829

Last night was a long night with Asher.  I wasn’t quite as stellar as Shane at getting him to take the bottles, but he did all right.  He usually took about a third by bottle, so I was happy with that.  That’s a good point to work from.  He also had a bit of trouble with his oxygen saturation levels (the amount of oxygen reaching his outer extremities) from about 2-3 a.m., and after the alarms had gone off several times, they finally turned on a little bit of oxygen for him again.  That is pretty normal, where they will go on and off the oxygen for awhile until they are ready to be off fully.  They turned it off again this morning, and he has been doing good since then.  He now doesn’t have the oxygen tubes in his nose!

JLM_9831 JLM_9833JLM_9835

One of the main frustrating things is that he is still gagging/throwing up.  He did it again this morning, and then this afternoon too.  We switched to a slow-flow nipple, to a lower calorie formula, and to slightly less volume to see how he does with that.  The doctor said that sometimes the feeding tube can cause them to gag more than normal.  We’ll see what the next 24 hours brings.  It could also be that he is a baby that has reflux issues too.  I hope we can get it resolved soon.  Shane came and gave him a blessing after church, so we hope that will help.  I just feel so bad for him every time he gags and throws up.

Meanwhile, the boys had fun looking for the Easter eggs around the living room this morning.  After church, lunch, and James’s nap, they came up to see me, and we spent a little time outside looking in their Easter baskets and enjoying the beautiful sunshine.  My mom stayed up with Asher so Shane and I could go home to eat dinner as a family.  It was a much-needed break from the hospital.  Shane and I are both staying up here tonight, so we’ll see how that goes!

JLM_9842  JLM_9843JLM_9846  JLM_9848JLM_9849  JLM_9850JLM_9851  JLM_9853JLM_9854 JLM_9857 JLM_9861JLM_9862  JLM_9865JLM_9871  JLM_9873

Happy Easter everyone!

My favorite Easter video I found on lds.org today.  I’ve seen it before, but it was definitely worth hearing again:

I especially love the quote when he says, “Because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so.”  I am especially grateful for that on this Easter day, that there is nothing we have to go through in this life alone.  I don’t think I could do this without that knowledge.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Praying for you Asher- Sorry about the food troubles. Yay for no breathing tubes! I love to see Asher's face almost free of tubes. What a calm countenance he seems to have. Oh I love him SO much! Hope you are getting some sleep Shane and Jess- Asher is so lucky to have such amazing parents.