Today Asher turned one week old! It seems like a lifetime ago since he was born with all that has happened. Although it has had its amazing moments to see the miracles happening, I’m glad the stress of the first week is over! Today has been a sleepy day most of the day for Asher. When I got here this morning, they told me that he was a bit fussy through the night, so I guess he is getting his sleep in today. That’s probably not a good sign for his night nurse though! They have mentioned a few times how he has an attitude, and lets it known when he doesn’t like something! I guess he has to be a fighter that way.
I have just tried today to not be disappointed with his amount of bottle intake versus his intake with the feeding tube, and to instead be glad that he can rest and try to recover and regain more energy so that hopefully soon he will have more energy to eat more. They did finally take his central line out of his neck, and it seems like the fluid leaking from his chylothorax is very minimal and already pretty dried up, so hopefully that means it’s not too severe of a case and will heal quickly. They switched him to a different brand of formula, but he didn’t seem to like that one much better. It’s hard to know though if it’s just because he was so tired today, or if it’s because he doesn’t like the formula. He still needs to get his oxygen down a little bit, and when he gets mad, his oxygen saturation levels drop significantly, so they are still watching those before they move us out of the PICU.
Here are just a few shots of the sleeping cutie pie:
And one shot of him showing off his scar (we need to ask the nurses for a new pacifier that isn’t pink!). He still has a main drainage tube from the scar, and two on the sides that are draining where they chylothorax is.
Shane went back to work today, so I was up at the hospital alone for part of the day, but I also had my parents around for part of the time too. I can’t drive yet, so they brought me up and stayed for awhile. My dad is headed home today after being here for a week. I was so glad he could be here to meet little Asher, and to help entertain the boys when I couldn’t.
The boys had a bit more mellow of a day. My dad wrote up a fun treasure hunt for them this morning, which had some books from grandma a the end. The boys then had fun hanging around the house with Christie, going to the dollar store and the park, and then with my mom too once she got home. Christie went and met Shane at work, and they drove up to the hospital together to see Asher. When we got home, we had our Easter egg hunt. Kent and Christie have, for the past few years, brought us tons of Easter eggs that they have pre-filled with candy for the boys. Usually it arrives as a package in the mail, but this year Christie brought them out herself, and she was able to be there to watch the boys enjoy the annual Easter egg hunt. It was already pretty dark outside, so the picture turned out a little bit dark. They were excited to open up their eggs and find the goodies inside. James exclaimed, “Wow, Look!” with each one he opened.
1 comment:
I am glad I found this, I was searching for your news of the day.Wow, I'm so glad the boys have such wonderful grandparents, the boys look happy. How are you feeling (physically) Jessica? Asher is such a beautiful boy-is he the only one born with all that dark hair? He sure sounds like a champ, fighting, good for him. Lots of prayers every day for ask of you, love you guys, Debbie Russell
Post a Comment