Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Quiet Sunday

Today has been a quiet day with Asher in recovery.  I checked out of the hospital this morning, and was so glad to be done staying in our little closet of a hospital room, and to go home and sleep in my own bed!  I took a picture of Shane in his little corner of a bed this morning.  He had an air vent right above his bed, so he was always cold.

JLM_9634

After checking out, we went up to the PICU for awhile to see Asher and sit up there with him for awhile.  He is recovering well, and was lying there basically asleep with all of his monitors and machines.   They had removed a couple of the drainage tubes and the IV that was in his arm.  The nurse mentioned to me that Asher was not a still, quietly sleeping newborn.  I told her my newborns weren’t normally ones to sleep for hours and hours like most newborns!  He had been trying to open his eyes a few times, and was moving around a lot in his sleep.  We would frequently see him doing sucking motions as he lay there.  His oxygen levels are better, but they still are working on bringing those up a little bit.  His ventilator will be in through probably Tuesday at least, but we will see. 

They had a cute little beanie baby dog in his bed with him when we got there today.  I took a picture because I thought the boys would like to see it.

JLM_9639

(The nurse put a little washcloth over his eyes so the lights weren’t too bright for him)

DSC_0756  DSC_0760

Meanwhile, at home, the boys were getting ready for church with Grandma and Grandpa.  We got a phone call at 8:50 this morning from my mom, asking what time church was.  Shane had told her 9:00, but Landon kept saying, “Grandma, Mom usually doesn’t make us get our clothes on until 10:00!”  Finally, after his frustration was rising, she asked him if he wanted her to call me and verify the time.  I told her church was actually at 11:00, and by the time she got off the phone, Landon was in his room in his bed looking at a book.  When she went in there, she said, “Landon, are you okay?”  He said, “Yes, I just had to come in here because I was so upset.”  I told my mom she’s just going to have to rely on Landon for information instead of Shane.  Apparently he’s more reliable.  :)  Christie was already at the church building about to go in by the time Shane called her.  He must have been a bit preoccupied Saturday to tell them both the wrong church time!

DSC_0743  DSC_0751

After church, Christie and Kelly came up to see Asher for a minute.  It is always nice to see for yourself how he and and how he’s doing.  After dinner, my parents and I went up to see him too.  We hope he can keep resting peacefully and his body regaining its strength.

JLM_9640  DSC_0759

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update- why can't Morris babies sleep?!! Aunt Merriann

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that he is resting and able to have visitors. Love the stuffed animal in his bed! The boys look so big and handsome - oh how we miss all of you. Especially during this time when we would like to be helping.
It is great that he can have the grandparents and uncle Kelly come visit.
Thank you for posting - grateful to have the update. We are still praying for all of you! Hope you are feeling ok. I love you! Jenn

Anonymous said...

Oh and Shane probably said 9 am because he probably does have to be there at that time!!!! lol J

Kim said...

I love Landon- what a smart guy! I'm thinking about you guys SO much (and obsessively checking your blog) so thanks for the update :) So fun to see pictures of all FOUR of the Malan boys. Wow! I love it!! Love to Asher and all!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you have found time to keep up the blog, I look forward to every new update! Thank You! Landon, Davis, and James were super excited that someone was at the door yesterday (after church - like no one ever comes over), you could tell they were truly enjoying the extra grandma/grandpa time.