As we arrived at my parents’ house late on the Friday before Memorial Day, we learned that my dad was making plans to fly to Utah and drive to McCammon, Idaho early Saturday morning to visit my Grandpa Morris in the hospital. My grandpa had been taken to the hospital a few days earlier with what we now learned was a massive stroke, and it soon became evident that he would not be alive much longer. My dad was able to fly out and be with him as he passed from this life.
His funeral took place that next Friday, June 3, so as soon as I got back from Ashland late Monday, I did my laundry, packed, and made arrangements for the kids as just James and I would be flying out late Thursday to attend the funeral on Friday. Thanks to a wonderful husband, and awesome brother-in-law, and some great friends, I was able to go without worrying about Landon and Davis at home.
The funeral, as all funerals are, was as sacred and special experience where I learned even more about my grandpa and the amazing man that he was. He was extremely afraid of speaking publicly when he was younger, and so instead of turning in his papers to serve a mission, he first entered the military and served during WWII, where he had several faith-proving experiences. When he came home, he started back to work on the farm, but everything just seemed to be going wrong until he finally realized that he needed to serve a mission. He developed in his life an ability to speak in public, overcoming that fear and eventually serving in several callings that required him to speak often, especially a calling on the stake high council. My dad and his siblings each wrote of a memory of grandpa, and they all mentioned how they would hear their dad singing in the shower, as he got ready in the morning, and throughout the day. I guess I now know where my dad got that from!
Overwhelmingly, as I listened to my two uncles tell stories and memories of my grandpa, I was struck with how much my dad is like him, and how much of an influence he has had on my dad’s life in helping him to be the dad that he then is to me. All of the children also repeatedly mentioned how often they would find Grandpa and Grandma kneeling by their bed in prayer, both morning and night, and my grandpa liked to say it is much better to wear a hole in the knees of your pants rather than the rear. I loved my grandpa because of his humble and unwavering faith.
Taking a walk with Kallie and Bennett, and playing high five with Kallie at the church
I drove up and back to the funeral with Camille and Bryce, and the next day I stayed at Becky’s since it was cheaper to fly out Sunday. I was lucky and go to be there on Saturday to go to Camille’s bridal shower! It was fun to be the with her, meet Bryce’s mom and sisters, and learn a little more about Bryce and Camille. I was glad the trip ended with a happy experience! I also got to meet Becky’s new baby Ryan. James especially was excited to see him, and I had to keep him away from him a lot of the time! Here he is playing with Ryan in his swing.
No comments:
Post a Comment