Just after Davis’s birthday in February, Landon told me he wanted a race car birthday party. His main reason for choosing this was because he wanted a race track cake like Davis’s was. Luckily, this is one of the easiest cakes for me to do, so I was more than happy to do it. He invited two friends from school and two families from church, and one neighbor (who couldn’t come), so the numbers were just right.
It was a busy morning, with a 9-mile run for me and a t-ball game for Landon, but with Shane’s help, I had everything ready and even sat down for a few minutes before everyone arrived. It was simple but fun – making license plates, playing red light, green light, making candy cars, going on a stolen car treasure hunt, guessing how many cars were in the jar, and having a car launch.
Making license plates as everyone arrived
A wild game or red light, green light!
Everyone with their “medals” for red light, green light, and reading the first clue for the “stolen cars” treasure hunt.
I had the ingenious idea to tell the kids that they were detectives, and if the thieves heard them coming, they would move the cars to another hiding place, so they had to move quietly and slowly from clue to clue. It was much better than having 8 kids run wildly through my house!
The famous race track cake – my third one since I made the first one for Landon’s 2nd birthday, and then one for Davis’s birthday earlier this year.
All the party guests, and Landon opening his gifts
My little boy is sure growing up! It is fun to see him grow older, but it is sad to see how fast the time is flying by. I was happy the next day, after church, to see him curled up on the floor next to me when I woke up from a short Sunday nap. It’s good to know that even my old 6-year-old needs a nap every once in awhile!
2 comments:
Man, I think you're pretty lucky to be able to have such a fun b-day party, Landon! Wish I was there! What a sweet picture of you sleeping!
What a fun party! I am impressed. I might have to pick your brain for details as Austin's 4th bday is around the corner. Good job!
Post a Comment