Monday, September 10, 2007

The Portland Saturday/Farmer's Market

After living here for over a year, I finally made it to the Portland Saturday markets. Before Saturday, I didn't know I needed to make that plural, yet after trying to meet my two friends Ashley and Heidi on Saturday at the Saturday market and ending up two completely different places in downtown Portland, I realized there were two. We first (once we all met up) went to the Saturday Market. This market is located under/next to the Burnside Bridge, right across the street from the riverfront. For you fellow Ashlanders, I felt right at home in this market. It was kind of like the Saturday market they have there, except a lot bigger. There were all sorts of items to buy, including some fairly cute yet expensive crafts and some wildly crazy items you wouldn't see anywhere else.

After wandering around for awhile and enjoying the excitement, we headed back up to Portland State University for the Portland Farmer's Market. Here I felt once again transported to another place I love . . . France. There was a large grass area full of small, local farmers selling their fruits and vegetables, plus a little cheese, honey, and even some bakeries. I loved it! I bought some strawberries to make jam, and some delicious green beans and corn we had for dinner last night. I also splurged a little as we were leaving and bought a baguette and an almond croissant at a small French bakery stand. Delicieux!


Me, Heidi, Landon, and Jackson at the Saturday market.

Me, Heidi, Ashley, Landon, and Jackson (back behind) at the Farmer's Market. Don't those tomatoes look delicious!

2 comments:

Spiresfam said...

Oh Jess that makes me so jealous! Looks like a lot of fun! I am also excited for you cause in that last pic I can just barely see that you are starting to show! HOW FUN!!! Are you feeling lots better?

Lori said...

Jessica,

Looks like a lot of fun!! How is your house coming a long and how are you feeling? We need to get together.