Monday and Tuesday have been a lot more of the same around here. Yesterday, we played a lot of Wii, went to the playroom, had lunch with Shane, and Asher continued to do well with his medicine and drains. His pleural caths continued to put out a lot of fluid, but in the evening they started to lower a bit again. His left side is actually pretty dried up, but his right side is the one that is still putting out a lot of fluid.
Shane came up right after work, and I went home for a bit for a break. I caught the end of James’s baseball game, and then I gave Madeleine a bath and read her books before bed, and I joined in on family scripture study before I headed back up to the hospital
The night was a little rougher than normal because Asher’s neck and shoulder were bothering him. He had a hard time getting to sleep, and once he finally did, it was time for them to come in and pull fluid out of his pleural caths. He woke up again at 3:30 a.m., feeling uncomfortable, so I lay by him in the bed until he went back to sleep. It wasn’t too long before 5:30 a.m. came around, when they come in, wake him up, and have him go to the bathroom so they can get a weight. I remember them doing this with him as a baby, which was so aggravating that they would wake him up to weight him! They take his vitals then too, and also pulled more fluid from his drains. I managed to get him to go back to sleep until 7:00, but it had been a long night. I think that is what I am looking forward to most about being home – being able to set Asher’s schedule so that it is more convenient to him.
We kept entertained this morning with some reusable stickers and some coloring and marker stamps, and tried to keep ourselves entertained with books and funny faces.
The P.A. came in again yesterday and said Asher’s JP drains were still putting out enough that he wanted to wait to remove them. Today, he came in and said we would take out one of them and Asher’s pacer wires as well. The pacer wires have been there since surgery. They never had to use them, but they put them in just in case they need them. I was worried how Asher would respond when they removed them, and I especially didn’t want it to be too bad because they are leaving one in and will have to remove it in a couple of days. They gave him some oxycodone and then waited about thirty minutes before pulling them out. The child life specialist came in before the P.A., and she sat next to Asher, explained to him what they would be doing, and then she played games on the ipad with him until it was over. He screamed out for a second, and whimpered a bit at one point, but other than that he did awesome, and now we are down to only one bulb, plus the two pleural caths.
One week ago and today. So much better already!
Asher then took a nice long nap, and he woke up seeming to be feeling much better. We played a round of Sleeping Queens and Go Fish, and then he colored for a bit until grandma arrived with his brothers and sister.
Playing “I Spy” out the big windows with grandma, and reading books in the lobby.
He has overall felt a bit tired and achy today, so hopefully he can get a good night’s rest and feel a bit better tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment