The last eight days have been a bit crazy at our house. My parents came up here and took Landon and Davis to their house for a week for "grandma and grandpa camp," while Shane and I redid our kitchen. The work was long and strenuous, but we're feeling pretty good about the almost finished product. Here's a brief summary of our week:
- Painting - I removed our cupboard doors and drawers, sanded them (with A LOT of help from my mom), then primed and painted two coats on all of them. I also painted the walls red, and in the end, the beadboard and baseboards.
- Flooring - We installed new laminate flooring over our existing permanently dirty looking linoleum.
- Counter top - We installed a granite tile counter top to replace our old permanently stained cream Formica. This was definitely the hardest job, as we had to cut the tiles, put up the backerboard (that was the BIGGEST pain- let's not talk about it!), got the tiles bull-nosed, set the tile, grouted the tile . . . and pretty soon, sealed the tile.
Besides that, my days, while I did have a break from my normal mothering duties, were more like this:
- Average three showers a day, and I still have paint in miscellaneous places on my body
- Two trips to Home Depot per day, plus one to Tile for Less, our new favorite tile store.
- Getting up at 6:30 a.m. to start working by 7, and only sitting down to eat lunch and dinner, and for the occasional car ride back and forth from Home Depot, until average 1:00 a.m.
Our bodies are sore, and Shane now needs a chiropractic visit, but you can check out the photos below. We'll have to post the final "after" photos, for as you can see, we still don't have the cupboard doors on or the kitchen sink in! Hopefully we can hang in there to finish it up soon.
Cupboards painted and walls primed
Half the cupboard doors drying after their first coat of paint, and the new red walls
Just after setting the tile countertop
Our current product
(oh, there's magnetic paint on the back of the cupboard over the bar)
15 comments:
Wow!! It looks SO good. I love it! I'm so impressed by everything you did.
Jessica,
It looks amazing!! I can't believe how much you did in a weeks time.
I really like the bottom of the cabinets as well.
Good job!!
AWESOME! I am soooo excited for you guys! Looks GREAT!!!
Nice work, it looks great. Can't wait to come up so you can cook something for me in your new digs
it looks so good!! I am so impressed (that last comment was by Jake :) )
I LOVE it!! Red is my favorite color, and I've always wanted white cabinets, so I'm very partial to your new kitchen!! Good work. Phew - what a project. Good for you guys!
Amazing Jess- you are a hard working woman!
It looks SO good. You guys have done an awesome job. I can't wait to come over and see it in person.
wow what a amazing transformation! We put in our laminate floors, and that was quite a task... I don't imagine I'll ever attempt a counter top redesign- that's so impressive! And I love the idea of magnetic paint.
Yay! It looks SO great! I totally love it and I'm super impressed! Can wait to see it in real life!
Great job you two! That looks awesome! Shan is tearing into our kitchen too. Shane puts me to shame though...I'm not helping! :)
all that accomplished in such a short amount of time with resplendent results?!?
you guys rock
What a difference! You never know how big a project is until you get started right? The red is perfect in that space and the countertops, wow. Awesome job.
Wow!!! It looks amazing. Do you want to come do my kitchen for me??? I'm going to check out the Tile store you mentioned. It looks great!
YOu did it! Love it! how do you like the counter tops? they look great, do you think shane found his dream job? you 2 are a great team!!
Post a Comment