Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

We have had some unusually cold weather here in Portland this last week, and I've realized how babied I've been up here since moving from Utah as this week's weather has been in the 20's and it has about killed me. Saturday night, when we watched the news, there were predictions for snow, but when we woke up Sunday morning, there was nothing on the ground. Shane went to his early morning meeting (7am), while I was here getting the kids ready for church. During that time, it did start to snow, just small flakes at first, but by the time Shane got home the flakes were big and coming down hard, but still not much on the ground. We were making our final preparations for our 8:40 departure when at 8:30 we received a phone call from the 1st counselor letting us know that church was cancelled. If I had just known that two hours earlier I could have slept in a little longer! Shane had to get the Elders Quorum phone tree going, and before long, the whole ward knew church was cancelled.

So, we stayed home and after much begging, finally let Landon go out in the snow, even though the wind was blowing pretty hard and the snow continued to fall all day. When he was out there, he kept saying, "Dad, how come it's so cold out here?", or "How come I'm so cold!" Needless to say, he didn't last much longer than about 15 minutes out there (thank goodness for that!). Monday, Shane's office was closed so he worked from home. He went into work today, but there's another snow storm expected to begin at about 6 am tomorrow morning, followed by freezing rain, more rain, and then more snow again in the evening. Pretty much every combination of awful weather you can imagine.

Landon still wakes up each morning, and the first thing he asks is, "Can I go out in the snow?" I try to hold him off, but usually can't keep him inside much past ten. The poor boy doesn't have much to wear for this weather, so he has his rain boots on, sweats, and luckily, a nice coat and snow gloves. I guess we should invest in some more snow clothes for these very occasional storms!


2 comments:

krimmeez said...

totally crazy weather huh? We're going to Utah for Christmas, so between that and the snow we're getting here, we finally invested in a few snow things. My family was cracking up that they cancel school here for only a couple of inches. We haven't had church cancelled yet though, I don't Vancouver's been hit quite as bad as Portland. Enjoy it though, i'm sure it will turn to rain too soon.

Kent & Christie Malan said...

We're sure grateful you're staying home this year; only because you'd be in some airport right now stranded if you had decided to come. You've got more snow than Utah has! (at least in No. Ogden)