Sunday, September 14, 2008

Because It's Fun to Remember

My friend Mary tagged me on her blog with this post about remembering our spouses. Then, my friend Emily tagged me too! They were similar enough, so I just combined them together. I guess I better get going on this! Sorry it took me so long you guys. It was fun to read your memories Mary and Emily!

What is his name? Shane Kent Malan

Nicknames? Hmmm. My most common term of endearment for him is . . . dork. But in the most loving way. :)

How long have you been married? It was 6 years on June 21.

How long did you date? From June to June, so one year.

How old is he? He just turned 32.

How did you meet?
We met at the Canterwood apartments, outside on the patio area, during Break the Fast. It was our first Sunday in the ward - me, Becky, Kim, and Traci had all just moved in to LaJolla apartments. There was this cute guy in a blue shirt and tie, and wearing his glasses, but I was too shy to say hi. I then ran into a friend Richard who I'd met a few weeks before, and he introduced me to his roommates, one of whom was Shane! Thanks Richard! The next night, I went to FHE, and thanks to some really good luck, Shane was in my group too!

Where did you go on your first date?
Our first official date didn't take place until about a month after that Break the Fast. We had hung out together many times, but it wasn't until the first of June he called to ask me out on a date. I remember I was gone somewhere late, and when I got home, there was a message that Shane had called. I called him back, only to find out that he was asking me to go on a date for that weekend, when I was going home for my brother Jake's graduation! I was so worried he wouldn't ask me out again, but luckily he did, for the weekend after we got back. We went up to Park City with his roommate Ryan. We went down the Alpine Slide, walked around Park City, and ate at some nice restaurant up there. I thought wow!, he must be rich! :) It was a great date, and I was so excited when he asked me to go to breakfast with him a few days later at a crepe place!

How long have you been together? 7 years

Who eats more? I probably snack more, but if Shane's in the right mood, he can put down a lot!

Who eats more sweets?
I think we're pretty close to even on that one, but Shane usually wants a dessert or treat after a meal a little more often than I do.

Who said I love you first?
This is one of Shane's favorite stories to tell about me, that and when I looked in his coat pocket when he was out of the car to see if he had an engagement ring in there the day he proposed to me (no, I didn't find it). Shane told me he loved me after a date on night that fall on our porch in LaJolla. What did I say? "What?" Yep, that's right. I hadn't heard him, so he had to say it again. Then, to top it all off, I didn't say I love you back. I just said, "Thanks." I know. I can't believe he stayed with me. I was a little scared, thanks to Mary and Scott, (see her post), because their "I love you" came the day before their "let's get married!"

Who is taller? Shane, by about 7 inches.

Who sings better?
Definitely Shane! He sings a great tenor, and was in singing groups in high school. He's a little shy about it now though, and NEVER would sing alone in front of people!

Who does the laundry?
Me, although Shane's great at helping fold, one of my least favorite chores ever, and every once in awhile he'll put a load in (which usually means I'm really behind on laundry!)

Who does the dishes? Both of us, but me more.

Who pays the bills? Me, for sure.

Who mows the lawn?
Shane, although I did mow it last week for the first time in . . . who knows how long?

Who cooks dinner? Me, although Shane did Sunday dinner tonight! Turkey steaks and potatoes. Thanks Shane!

Who drives when you are together? Usually Shane, but I do sometimes, especially if I know where we're going and he doesn't, or if he gets annoyed with my backseat driving. :) (I admit, I can be bad)

Who is more stubborn? Definitely me.

Who is the first to admit they're wrong? Shane. He's very humble and always good about that, saying he was even in the wrong when it was just me (see question above.)

Whose parents do you see most? For the first four years of our marriage, Shane's, but for the last two years, mine, although we both wish we could see both of our parents more!

Who kissed who first? Shane kissed me first, mid-sentence. I was nervously talking my way through what I think I subconsciously knew was coming.

Who proposed?
Shane proposed in Park City. We had gone to look at rings a couple of weeks before, so I knew it was coming, and I was getting quite anxious for it to be official so I could tell people! When he asked me to go to Park City for the day, I thought this must be it, but then we stopped on our way at the ring place to check on "how the ring was coming," and it was going to be another week or two. Shane said he heard there was this really good French restaurant there, so we went there for lunch. He even admitted he had a reservation (there were two other people in the restaurant while we were there), so I began to think that he must for usre be proposing, but then he had no idea where the restaurant was, and we drove around for awhile. When he thought he had found it, he parked and ran in to make sure it was the right place. I couldn't stand the anticipation anymore, so I checked in his coat pocket to see if there was a ring there. Luckily, he had moved it to his trunk just before he picked me up. After our lunch, he took me to a lookout point in Park City, got out of the car, and pulled a dozen roses (and the ring) out of his trunk, and proposed. We went on a fun sleigh ride after that.

Who is more sensitive? Me, although Shane is more sentimental.

Who has more friends?
We have about the same amount of friends, although I think I keep in contact with my friends that live far away better than he does.

Who has more siblings? Me, but just by one.

Who wears the pants?
Literally or figuratively? We both wear pants, and we both participate in pants-wearing duties, although Shane is the true pants-wearer in the family (I don't think that made any sense. Oh well!)

Here's to 7 years Shane! You are the best and most wonderful husband I could ever have! I wouldn't survive without you.

I tag Becky, Stacey, and Johanna (when you're done unpacking!)

4 comments:

Jenny Bobo said...

That was a really fun post to read...mostly because I didn't know any of that about you two! Thanks for sharing!

Hallenbergers said...

That was cute! I have time for this! You guys have a lot of simularities....

Emily said...

That is the cutest picture of Shane and the boys. So fun to get to know you two a little more.

lish and toby said...

Jessica, hey! I am finding everyone through Emily's (yates) blog. Last time I saw you your little Davis was still in the bellie! He is a cutie! Congrats!